Wednesday, December 30, 2009

my thoughts...

I used to have this fantasy of how it would be when I fell in love and got married. He would be much like Gilbert in Anne of Green Gables--saving me from sinking boats, slightly touching my hairs and calling me a cute nickname that only he has for me. He would also have traits much like "the captain" in The Sound of Music. It would be normal to break into song when our love was confessed for one another. Yes, I lived in a fantasy world--but really, doesn't every young girl?We all want the same thing. We want to be loved by the man of our dreams. We want our quirky traits to be looked at with endearing eyes as love spills out of our beau's eyes. When I married Rob, none of these fantasies had been there as my young mind dreamt of. Yes, I was disappointed but older and wiser, knowing that life wasn't a fantasy world and sometimes, it was just .. life.
Something has changed over the years though. I've come to realize that every story is beautiful because it's your story. You & your spouse [fiance/boyfriend/girlfriend] make it what it is:yours. Together you have created a world full of beauty. A mystery at what lies ahead and dreams of what are yet to come.
We may not be Anne & Gilbert but we do have this in common-we will have a happy ending just as they did. I know this because it doesn't matter how you got there-you have each other and really, that's what is the most important.

Rob & I last year. He has truly become my Gilbert.

This post inspired by Scott & Jane Strong as they celebrate their 14th anniversary today. Happy anniversary guys. May you bask in your unique story as you trickle through the cascading snow and reminisce on your journey past and future. God has a beautiful story yet to unfold in your lives. It's only just begun.
xo

2 comments:

  1. is it weird i had the same exact ideals? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS:
    "Like everything which is not the involuntary result of fleeting emotion but the creation of time and will, any marriage, happy or unhappy, is infinitely more interesting than any romance, however passionate."

    ReplyDelete

Twitter